Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thanksgiving - more than a tryptophan-induced coma...

So, as Thanksgiving approaches, I thought I’d go ahead and make a list of things that I’m thankful for. Cliché, I know, but important nonetheless. But, rather than focusing on how I’m thankful for Jesus’ death and resurrection, which is of course paramount to any other blessing I’ve received, I thought I’d take a cue from James Dobson and “focus on the family”:

1) Rachel - There has been no single greater blessing to me in the past 6 years than her. She is my best friend, my companion, my great help, and my great joy. She makes me better and loves me when I’m worse. Sometimes, especially on a day when the kids have been especially “active”, we feel like we’re on a roller coaster, with ups and downs and stomach-wrenching turns. But I feel like it’s going to be ok because at least we’re strapped into the same car! A few years ago, I was having a particularly bad day at work, and Rachel sent me a flower from a local florist. Attached was a note that read “To love a person is to learn the song that is in their heart, and to sing it to them when they have forgotten”. Thanks for always singing my song, Rachel.

2) Ethan – my happy, thoughtful, wonderful boy, always full of questions and always full of imagination. I love having conversations with him, just to hear his observations and perspective on life as a 4-year-old. Whether we’re snuggled up in bed reading a picture book or telling each other valiant stories about superheroes performing heroic rescues during a game of Heroscape, I see in him a tiny spark of the great man that he’s going to be. And I’m so blessed to get to be his daddy. I look forward to taking him to his first Colts game, his first Gen Con, and being there for all of the many school and extracurricular events that are sure to follow. Whatever he decides to do, I’ll be there in the front row to cheer him on. There’s something special about a firstborn son, and Ethan is my special gift in that regard.

3) Erin – my wild girl, my daring explorer, my sweet bundle of endless energy. She is an absolute joy to be around, because you can’t help but smile at the vigor with which she attacks every task. She is the perfect embodiment of “work hard, play hard”. Yet at the core of this little hummingbird is a sweet, compassionate girl who loves to make people smile and can’t help but make me thankful. I love it when we are about to leave a store or a restaurant and Erin reaches up her hand, looks at me and says “Daddy…hand!”, and we walk across the parking lot together, both of us with big grins on our faces. She is a remarkable gift.

4) Mom – I am so thankful for my mother. We try to have lunch every other week or so, and I always love those times. We talk about life, family, church, God, and politics – sometimes all at the same time! We’ve laughed together, cried together, fought about important things, and fought about dumb things. But, through it all, she has remained a great spiritual mentor, sounding board, and friend. I am thankful that she’s been so close geographically for the past 6 years, and I’m especially glad that we’ve remained close emotionally as well.

So, that’s the short list, although there are many many more. Thank you God for family, for health, for friends, and for your Son. You have truly given me an adundant, John 10:10 life!!

1 Comments:

At November 24, 2007 at 10:12 AM , Blogger Rachel Richard said...

Awww. Thanks, honey! I love you too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home