Thursday, March 23, 2006

Movin' on up (to the east side)

Wow, another 11 days since posting. Tragic.

Our good friends RD and Jill moved on Saturday. We met them about 16 months ago, and in that relatively short time they have become our closest and dearest friends. And, best of all, they only live 2 streets away. So, we've spent tons of time together, and learned so much about one another. But, it's not like they're moving to another state - just to the east side of Indianapolis. But, it'll be a change, and my ability to cheerfully tolerate change is declining as I get older.

I think back to my college days, when I had a different roomate every year, and I was always packing my stuff up and heading to or from school. I especially remember the night in 1998 that I moved everything from my apartment in Houston back to Austin. In the trunk and backseat of a Mustang. Now, the thought of packing up our house and moving gives me a headache. And, after seeing RD and Jill pack up their house and moos, it's even less attrative. Rachel and I have discussed it, and we think we only want to move one more time, into the house that we'll plan on staying in for the "long haul". Now, I know that life moves fast, and it's becoming less and less common for people to stay in one place for years and years. But, unless my career changes drastically, I'm content to stay here. Sure, I miss all my friends in Texas and all my family in Virginia. But, it's still not a good enough reason to uproot my whole family and move. So, in a couple of years, we hope to move to a new house nearby, and get about the business of making it our "permanant" home. Enough room for the kids to grow, with lots of opportunities for home improvement projects over the years. After seeing all that RD and Jill have gone through in thr last few months, I'm starting to realize what a big stress moving can be. So, I think a 2-year prep time is reasonable. :-)

I also learned that, while I won't be 30 until September, I'm definitely not as spry and limber as I was in my teens. I am SO sore today. Tylenol will be my friend.

My dreams of a Texas baseball/football/basketball championship trifecta were dashed by LSU yesterday. Cheers to Texas for making it to the Elite Eight. Time to start rooting for the underdog. Go George Mason!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home